July 22, 2009

Patterns

The DOW closed at 8881 today. On July 19, 2009, The Elijah List sent out their newsletter with an article by Larry Jackson who wrote the following, “During the course of my studies, I learned that the number 888 is the numerical value for the name Jesus in Greek. Iesous, the name Jesus in Greek, is: I (10) + e (8) + s (200) + o (70) + u (400) + s (200) = 888. A detailed account of how Father gently led me to the place where I understood the meaning of 888 is in my new book ‘Knowing God by the Numbers.’” To me, having filed away the July 19, 2009 newsletter (which I rarely do, I only save two or three dozen of the daily newsletters a year, the rest I delete from my email) and then for 8881 to occur in the DOW two days later is potentially a fascinating coincidence. Is the Lord behind coincidences like these? Sometimes.

A couple others coincidences I have noticed and described before. The lowest point on the S&P index this year was 666 on 3-6-9. As you know, I believe the date 3-6-9 portends a hop, skip, and jump. Has the market hopped? Yes. Has it skipped? Yes. Will it jump? I’m watching and believing.

If the Lord can design the wonders of this intricate and exquisitely beautiful universe, He certainly can gives insights – and perhaps add a little humor or zest – to patterns and designs in creation. Even man-made creations. The Old Testament lyrical accounts of the wonders of nature and the heavens shows humans love to consider and explore the designs of the world around them. I believe the existence of fractals and enigmatic subatomic particles, for example, reveal the Lord’s mathematical and scientific creative brilliance coupled with simple aesthetic beauty and elegance. No one makes things more intriguing and beautiful at the same time than the Lord. This statement doesn’t do Him the justice but I hope you can sympathize with the fact some patterns may not be purely random. They might be His fingerprint in even a man-made design.

So today there was an 888. Hm. I don’t know what or if it means anything. But I will continue to watch and see.